ioby Support Center

Do I need to submit a copy of my organization's or fiscal sponsor's nonprofit letter of determination?

Updated on


If your organization has its own 501(c)3 status or you are receiving fiscal sponsorship from a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, we will ask for a copy of the organization's 501(c)3 letter of determination issued by the IRS. This must be a federal determination from the IRS, and cannot be from a state-issued determination

If you are a tax-exempt government entity, you may provide a Governmental Information Letter from the IRS.

Here are a few examples of items that will NOT suffice as documentation:

  • Employer Identification Number (EIN or FEIN)
    • An EIN is assigned to all registered business entities operating in the United States and are not unique to nonprofits. Therefore, it is not sufficient documentation to submit to ioby to confirm an organization’s 501(c)3 status.
  • State-issued tax exemption letter or state-issued nonprofit status certificate/letter:

  • State documentation of nonprofit status is not sufficient proof of federal nonprofit status. ioby requires documentation of federal nonprofit status, and can only accept documentation issued by the federal IRS.

What if I don't have an IRS-issued 501(c)3 letter of determination?

If your organization has lost their nonprofit determination letter, you may request an affirmation letter from the IRS and provide that to ioby.

If your organization is not registered as a nonprofit organization under IRC Section 501(c)(3), you may:

Previous Article Do I need to report money crowdfunded with ioby as taxable income?
Next Article I am tax exempt, but not a 501(c)3. Can I submit something other than a nonprofit letter of determination?