Do I need to submit a copy of my organization's or fiscal sponsor's nonprofit letter of determination?


If you are fundraising with a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization or are receiving fiscal sponsorship under a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, we will ask for a copy of the organization's 501(c)(3) letter of determination issued by the IRS.

Here are examples of letters or information that will NOT suffice as documentation:

  • Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An EIN is assigned to all registered business entities operating in the United States. It does not apply specifically to nonprofits. Therefore, it is not sufficient documentation to submit to ioby regarding the organization's nonprofit status.

  • State tax exemption letter or State nonprofit status certificate/letter

State documentation or nonprofit status is not sufficient proof of federal nonprofit status. Please provide a copy of your federal nonprofit determination letter issued by the IRS.


What if I don't have an IRS-issued 501(c)(3) letter of determination?

If your organization has lost their nonprofit determination letter, you may request an affirmation letter from the IRS.

If your organization is not registered as a nonprofit organization under IRC Section 501(c)(3), you may:

  1. Apply for federal nonprofit status
  2. Seek a third party nonprofit fiscal sponsor
  3. Use ioby's fiscal sponsorship service

Did you find this article helpful?