Do I need to submit a copy of my organization's or fiscal sponsor's nonprofit letter of determination?


If your organization has its own 501(C)(3) status or you are receiving fiscal sponsorship from a 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization, we will ask for a copy of the organization's 501(C)(3) letter of determination issued by the IRS. This must be a federal determination from the IRS, and cannot be from a state issued determination.


If you are a tax-exempt government entity, you may provide a Governmental Information Letter from the IRS.


Here are a few examples items that will NOT suffice as documentation:

  • Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An EIN is assigned to all registered business entities operating in the United States and are not unique to nonprofits. Therefore, it is not sufficient documentation to submit to ioby to confirm an organization’s 501(C)(3) status.

  • State-issued tax exemption letter or State-issued nonprofit status certificate/letter

State documentation of nonprofit status is not sufficient proof of federal nonprofit status. ioby requires documentation of federal nonprofit status, and can only accept documentation issued by the federal IRS.


What if I don't have an IRS-issued 501(C)(3) letter of determination?

If your organization has lost their nonprofit determination letter, you may request an affirmation letter from the IRS and provide that to ioby.


If your organization is not registered as a nonprofit organization under IRC Section 501(C)(3), you may:

Did you find this article helpful?